This weekend my fellow Jazzercise instructors and I headed to New Orleans for an instructors only conference — a weekend of workouts New Orleans style.
How timely that the 2010 “Fitness Census” just came out. Are you ready for these sobering statistics?
· Two out of three adult Americans are overweight or obese.
· One out of every three kids is overweight.
· For the first time in 60 years, the average life expectancy of Americans born today may be less than their parents.
· There have been an estimated 8 million new cases of diabetes since 2000.
· 25% of America’s pets are now overweight.
· In the past 10 years, the number of gastric bypass and other bariatric surgeries shot up nearly 600%, with 220,000 procedures done in 2009 alone. Total cost: $3.7 billion to $5.7 billion.
· Fast food sales in the U.S. are up 15% in just five years.
· Since 2000, the amount of fat the average American consumes has increased by
180 grams (the equivalent of two sticks of butter) per week. That’s an extra 20
pounds of fat per year.
· Since 2000, the time an average eight- to 18-year-old spends playing video games
has more than doubled.
All I am saying it this: Get Moving America! It just needs to be done…like Today.
I can’t cite a problem without a proposed solution.
One of my POA’s for 2010 was losing weight. So far I have lost 12 lbs.
(1) I grabbed the Lose it calorie and exercise tracker (free iPhone app/also available online). Admittedly I don’t fill it daily anymore. But I did for 3 months. And now I am at the point where I understand the significance of what I put in my body. I don’t eat as much queso, I don’t drink as much wine, and I make sure I move everyday. Notice I didn’t eliminate these things from my diet…I don’t believe in torture. I just limited them. If I don’t NEED it, then I won’t have it.
(2) No surprise, my favorite mode “putting out” is Jazzercise. I’ve been doing it for ten years and teaching for nine. I love it because I can dance off my calories and sculpt my muscles. Here’s the deal, a new study came out telling us what we all secretly knew: Ladies we need an hour of exercise daily. One Hour! Not 30 minutes. You may scoff at that, but it’s is true. So find something that captures you attention for an hour and actually works.
(3) I read Self Magazine. It gives me the latest news on health and fitness (and a little more.) When I can’t get to a Jazzercise class I get some other type of exercise in…Self Magazine keeps that supplement fresh and interesting.
(4) Little goals…baby steps…Do I exercise 7 days of week? No. But I make it my ultimate goal. And instead I focus on the little goals: Rocking a bra top during my workout was my first one. Check.
My new one: fitting into skinny girl jeans: I have three pair I would like to put on with ease. I will get there. And so will you.